Search website by keyword
Runway 09 Approach Lighting – SSALR
The approach lighting for Runway 09, YYJ’s busiest, currently does not meet the requirements necessary to equal the performance of the instrument landing system (ILS) that serves that runway. While the ILS is certified for weather minimas down to ½ mile operational visibility the lighting is only certified down to ¾ mile visibility. This new installation will see the replacement of the existing lighting system with one that meets the requirements for ½ mile operations. The project will also see improvements to the dock and breakwater that supports seaplane operations and safety improvements for barges using the seaplane base for transporting large loads like houses and industrial machinery.
The tender closed May 24th and successful vendor for this work is FMI Installations from Nanaimo.
- Detailed design is complete.
- Environmental survey is complete - no habitat or marine life issues identified.
- Geo-technical survey complete - no concerns identified.
- Stakeholder consultation with all parties including First Nations is complete.
- A blessing ceremony will be led by Chief Tanya Jimmy of Tseycum First Nation prior to beginning of construction.
- Contractor has mobilized to site and work is underway on the ground-based lights with water-based works to follow.
- Wooden dock components are in the manufacture stage off-site.
- Navigable Waters Permit approved after length delays with the regulator (Transport Canada).
Work is planned to be substantially complete in 2022.