Search website by keyword
Victoria International Airport (YYJ Introduces New Health and Safety Program
Jul 2, 2020
Yesterday, Victoria International Airport (YYJ) introduced TravelSafe YYJ, an operational program and awareness campaign created to inform people about the expectations while at the airport and to highlight new health and safety directives that are in place. TravelSafe YYJ aligns with guidance from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and is consistent with measures being introduced at many other airports across Canada.
“At YYJ, the health and safety of our passengers, partners and employees is our top priority. TravelSafe YYJ is our commitment that we are doing our part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and to ensure that passengers and staff feel safe and confident while at the airport,” said Geoff Dickson, Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) President and CEO.
YYJ and its valued service partners including the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA), airlines and Acciona, our custodial care team, has introduced many additional operational processes and enhanced cleaning and sanitization measures. Current TravelSafe YYJ measures include:
- Requesting that only travellers with a valid ticket and airport employees enter the air terminal building. There are exceptions for those who are accompanying someone who needs extra assistance.
- Dedicated one-way entry and exit to/from the air terminal building.
- Requesting that face coverings be worn at all times throughout all areas of the air terminal building.
- Physical distancing measures with new floor and seating decals, stanchions and signage.
- Plexiglass barriers at all airline check-in and departure gate counters, car rentals and retail and food & beverage service counters
- PPE availability for purchase.
- Cleaning and Sanitization
- Deployed 60 hand sanitization stations.
- Increased cleaning at all high-touch areas including seating areas, check-in kiosks, elevators, escalator and stair handrails, baggage carts and enhanced cleaning of washrooms to every hour.
- Custodial staff use of a high-quality probiotic textile spray that fights unwanted bacteria and viruses on surfaces for three days.
- Incorporated misting sanitizer into cleaning equipment.
- Requesting that passengers collect their baggage and immediately exit the air terminal building. Short term parking remains FREE for family and friends to pick-up arriving passengers.
This is an unprecedented time for all industry but a particularly challenging time for aviation. The COVID-19 pandemic has required an extraordinary response. TravelSafe YYJ is in place to assure travellers that we have incorporated the guidance materials provided by public health officials, government officials and industry experts and that we will continue to work with those partners and evolve the program, test new technologies and implement new international standards as they emerge.
To learn more about TravelSafe YYJ, please visit our website at www.victoriaairport.com.
About Victoria Airport Authority
Victoria Airport Authority is a not-for-profit authority that has managed the safe and secure operations of the Victoria International Airport on behalf of the surrounding communities since April 1, 1997.
Media Contact Victoria Airport Authority
Rod Hunchak - Director, Business Development and Community Relations
Phone: (250) 953-7514