Search website by keyword
Victoria Airport Authority Shares 2018 Accomplishments and Future Plans with the Community at Annual Public General Meeting
May 10, 2019
Yesterday evening, Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) updated the local community on another exceptional year at its Annual Public General Meeting held at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney.
VAA highlighted some of the key accomplishments of 2018 including:
- Marking the significant milestone of welcoming the two millionth passenger – serving 2.049 passengers representing 5.9% growth and another record-setting year for passenger volumes;
- Strong financial results. Revenues improved by 6.3% resulting in an improvement to the operating surplus by 4.2%. YYJ Victoria International is one of two airports in the country debt-free;
- Investing $15 million in capital investments in 2018 including the ongoing construction of the Lower Passenger Departure Lounge, the addition of 520 parking stalls and resurfacing Willingdon Road;
- Receiving the Silver Wings Award from BC Aviation Council recognizing environmental protection and remediation of TenTen Creek and maintaining our Level 2 carbon accreditation by Airports Council International (ACI);
- Maintaining strong ACI Airport Service Quality results among participating Canadian airports;
- New air service for 2018 included Air Canada Montreal service, Air North Whitehorse service, and the introduction of the ultra-low cost carrier Flair Airlines with new service to Edmonton.
2019 will bring the completion of the expanded portion of the lower passenger departure lounge and start of renovations to the existing space, expansion of the main aircraft apron for commercial operations, Apron IV, the extension of Taxiway Echo East and planning for curb-side improvements for better utilization and passenger experience.
“Continuing to keep costs low for our air carriers while providing a first-class airport for our region will always be our focus,” said Geoff Dickson, President and CEO. “Ensuring our costs remain among the lowest in the country while continuing to pursue new air service, improve the customer experience and maintaining safety is where our efforts remain.”
Guests in attendance received a detailed progress report of the $19.4 million terminal expansion underway. This 27-month project is the third phase of a multi-phase terminal and apron expansion program that will see a doubling of the lower passenger departures area. The new area will see dedicated boarding gates, covered walkways, new and expanded washrooms, additional food & beverage and retail facilities.
A copy of the 2018 VAA Annual Report is available here.
About Victoria International Airport
Victoria International Airport (Airport Code: YYJ) is the 11th busiest airport in Canada with over 2.04 million passengers per year. Victoria is well served with more than 100 daily flights throughout North America. YYJ was rated among one of the top ten most-loved airports in the world by CNN Travel and was twice named ‘Best Regional Airport in North America’ by Airports Council International (ACI).
Victoria Airport Authority is a not-for-profit authority that has managed the safe and secure operations of the Victoria International Airport on behalf of the surrounding communities since April 1, 1997.
President and CEO
Executive Offices: (250) 953-7501