Search website by keyword
Victoria Airport Authority Celebrates Reaching Two Millionth Passenger Milestone
Dec 19, 2018
Celebrations filled the air terminal building arrivals hall today as Victoria International Airport (YYJ) recognized reaching two million passengers in a single year. This represents another record-setting year for passenger volumes at YYJ which has averaged a 5% growth year-to-date.
High Tea themed festivities were held in the arrivals rotunda for the public and invited guests included former board members and friends of YYJ. A highlight of the day included celebrating the two millionth passenger who arrived on a Pacific Coastal flight from Kelowna. This lucky traveller was treated to a set of premium luggage, a stay at Victoria’s iconic Empress Hotel and a flight voucher for Pacific Coastal Airlines.
Managing accelerated growth has kept YYJ busy expanding terminal space and parking. Some notable achievements for YYJ over the past few years include:
- The elimination of its long-term debt and strong financial results;
- the results of an economic impact study that showed the operations of Victoria International Airport generated 4,200 full-time equivalent jobs, $270 million in wages and $880 million in total economic output;
- investment of $189M into the airport since transferring to a local airport authority on April 1, 1997.
- Airport Council International Airport Service Quality results recognizing that Victoria International Airport was twice name Best Regional Airport in North America and has been rated with the highest service quality scores of 15 participating Canadian airports;
- and a two-time recipient of BC Aviation Council Silver Wings Environmental Award for Reay Creek and TenTen Creek remediation projects.
Currently underway is a $19.4 million terminal building expansion. This 27-month project that began in January of 2018 is the largest singular capital investment to date and the third phase of a multi-phase terminal and apron expansion program which doubles the size of the lower passenger departure lounge. This new area will see dedicated aircraft boarding gates, new walkways, new and expanded washrooms and additional food & beverage and retail amenities.
“Reaching this milestone three years ahead of our long term forecast has kept us busy bringing forward key infrastructure improvements. Managing demand while keeping costs low for our air carriers and still providing a first-class airport for our region will always be our focus,” said Geoff Dickson, President and CEO.
“We appreciate the continued support and confidence from travellers and our community as we work to build an airport that is efficient, easy to use and friendly. Today, I would also like to take the opportunity to recognize the exceptional team of airlines, service providers, volunteers and staff at YYJ who directly manage the passenger experience every day.”
About Victoria International Airport
Victoria International Airport (Airport Code: YYJ) is the 10th busiest airport in Canada with over 2.0 million passengers per year. Victoria is well served with more than 100 daily flights throughout North America. YYJ was rated among one of the top ten most-loved airports in the world by CNN Travel and was twice named ‘Best Regional Airport in North America’ by Airports Council International (ACI).
Victoria Airport Authority is a not-for-profit authority that has managed the safe and secure operations of the Victoria International Airport on behalf of the surrounding communities since April 1, 1997.
President and CEO
Executive Offices: (250) 953-7501