Search website by keyword
Victoria Airport Authority Shares 2017 Accomplishments and Future Plans with the Community at Annual Public General Meeting
May 11, 2018
Yesterday evening, Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) updated the local community on another exceptional year at its Annual Public General Meeting held at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney.
VAA highlighted some of the key accomplishments of 2017 and future plans including:
- 1.934 million passengers – another record-setting year for passenger volumes;
- The elimination of its long-term debt and strong financial results;
- The results of an economic impact study that showed the operations of Victoria International Airport generated 4,200 full-time equivalent jobs, $270 million in wages and $880 million in total economic output;
- A noise baseline study that highlighted noise levels were equal to or lower than all locations previously measured in 1999 despite growth at the airport;
- Airport Council International Airport Service Quality results indicated that Victoria International Airport had the highest service quality scores of 15 Canadian airports participating;
- New air service for 2018 include Air Canada Montreal service, Air North Whitehorse service, and the introduction of the ultra-low cost carrier Flair Airlines with new service to Edmonton.
“Keeping costs low for our air carriers while providing a first-class airport for our region will always be our focus,” said Geoff Dickson, President and CEO. “Victoria International Airport is one of the lowest cost airports in the country with some of the highest customer satisfaction scores, which is a nice combination.”
Guests in attendance received a detailed review of the $19.4 million terminal expansion underway. This 27-month project is the third phase of a multi-phase terminal and apron expansion program and will see a doubling of the lower passenger departures area. The new area will see dedicated boarding gates, covered walkways, new and expanded washrooms, additional food & beverage and retail facilities.
A copy of the 2017 VAA Annual Report is available at www.victoriaairport.com/library
About Victoria International Airport
Victoria International Airport (Airport Code: YYJ) is the 10th busiest airport in Canada with over 1.93 million passengers per year. Victoria is well served with more than 100 daily flights throughout North America. YYJ was rated among one of the top ten most-loved airports in the world by CNN Travel and was twice named ‘Best Regional Airport in North America’ by Airports Council International (ACI).
Victoria Airport Authority is a not-for-profit authority that has managed the safe and secure operations of the Victoria International Airport on behalf of the surrounding communities since April 1, 1997.
President and CEO
Executive Offices: (250) 953-7501